A final call has gone out to find the very best among Norfolk’s food and drink producers – with the chance to win tickets to a top county agricultural show.
Nominations close on Friday 8th June for The Aylsham Agricultural Show Association’s 12th annual Norfolk Hero Food and Drink Awards, sponsored by Lovewell Blake, accountants, advisers and financial planners.
Anyone nominating their individual or business Hero will have their name entered into a draw to win two adult tickets – worth £18 each – for the show which takes place on the Blickling Estate on bank holiday Monday 27th August. There is no charge for children and parking is also free!
“We want to recognise the hard work of the local food and drink industry and ask members of the public to put forward their favourite Norfolk producers, local pubs, restaurants or cafes to be judged by the winners of 2017,” said Alexandra Haswell, head steward for the awards.
The categories are:
- Best specialist food or drink supplier, sponsored by Barclays. The supplier may only sell products using ingredients mainly grown or farmed by them;
- Best use of Norfolk produce on menu, sponsored by Gressingham Foods. The owner, chef and staff need to demonstrate the use of, and enthusiasm for Norfolk produce;
- Best food or drink retailer, sponsored by Dewing Grain. The retailer needs to promote and sell a large range of Norfolk produce; and
- Best new food or drink venture, sponsored by Spire Solicitors. This new venture must have started trading in 2016/2017. The owner needs to demonstrate the future potential of the business, and the use or promotion of Norfolk produce.
- Individual Food or Drink Hero, sponsored by Aylsham Agricultural Show Association. This is awarded to an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the production or promotion of Norfolk food or drink.
Nominations can be made online: www.theaylshamshow.co.uk/competitions/norfolk-food-hero-drink-awards/ or via a nomination form found in some shops in Aylsham including Purdy’s Tea Room, at Woodgate Nursery, or contact Alexandra Haswell: firstname.lastname@example.org orS 07866 465676.
The Overall Championship winner and Individual Food or Drink Hero will be presented with their awards at the show where other attractions will include the Bremont Great War Display Team who will recreate a First World War aerial dog fight, gun-dog training demonstrations, the Norwich Pipe Band, children’s fancy dress, vintage tractors, heavy horses, and (depending on weather conditions) the ascent of a hot-air balloon from the main ring.